These shorts are colorful, fun, engaging animations that are only a few minutes long. Each short consists of a song that teaches young children about various age-appropriate topics. Depending on your student's cognitive level and language skills, I could see these animated clips being used for children PK-early elementary ages. You can find these cute "big" blocks singing about:
- body parts and senses
- being brave and trying new foods
- coping with feelings of anger
- other emotions such as happy and sad
- concepts of same vs. different
- fruits vs. vegetables (and healthy foods)
- occupations (magician, farmer, etc.)
- and so much more
How do I use Big Block Singsong for therapy?
1. First, I introduce the topic/theme
2. Then we watch the big block singsong animation that goes along with that theme
3. We talk about what we learned from big block singsong
4. Replay the clip and sing along (repetition)
Want to check it out for yourself? Here is a link to one of my personal favorite episodes on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrwxTedNwCQ
The clips can be used to teach so many skills:
- categories (animals-farm/ocean/forest, foods-fruits/vegetables)
- time concepts (night/day)
- concepts (same/different)
- emotions (what they look like, what things might make us feel a certain way, how should be handle each emotion)
- social skills (trying new foods, coping with anger, meeting/making new friends, being friends with someone who is different than I am, etc.)
Have you ever used "Big Block Singsong" in your therapy? If so, how did you use it? Do you have any tips for us? Comment below!
Enjoy and happy singing and learning!!!